msgbartop
All about Google Chrome & Google Chrome OS
msgbarbottom

29 Dec 12 Galaxy S3 Mini Dropped From Apple’s Patent Claims Against Samsung


By Dan Levine
SAN FRANCISCO, Dec 28 (Reuters) – Apple Inc has agreed to withdraw patent claims against a new Samsung phone with a high-end display after Samsung said it was not offering to sell the product in the crucial U.S. market.
Apple disclosed the agreement in a filing on Friday in U.S. District Court in San Jose, California.
Last month Apple asked to add the Galaxy S III Mini and other Samsung products, including several tablet models, to its wide-ranging patent litigation against Samsung.
In response, Samsung said the Galaxy S III Mini was not available for sale in the United States and should not be included in the case.
Apple won a $1.05 billion verdict against Samsung earlier this year, but has failed to secure a permanent sales ban against several, mostly older Samsung models. The patents Apple is asserting against the Galaxy S III Mini are separate from those that went to trial.
Samsung started selling the Mini in Europe in October, to compete with Apple’s iPhone 5. In its filing on Friday in U.S. District Court, for the Northern District of California, Apple said its lawyers were able to purchase “multiple units” of the Mini from Amazon.com Inc’s U.S. retail site and have them delivered within the country.
But Samsung represented that it is not “making, using, selling, offering to sell or importing the Galaxy S III Mini in the United States.” Based on that, Apple said it agreed to withdraw its patent claims on the Mini, “so long as the current withdrawal will not prejudice Apple’s ability later to accuse the Galaxy S III Mini if the factual circumstances change.”
A Samsung official declined to comment. Apple could not immediately be reached for comment.
The case in U.S. District Court, Northern District of California is Apple Inc. vs. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd et al., 12-630. (Reporting By Dan Levine; Editing by Leslie Adler)

Also on HuffPost:

Article source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/galaxy-s3-mini-apple-samsung_n_2376952.html

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Dec 12 Apple Loses Bid to Block Galaxy Sales, Damages Still in Play


Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s request for additional damages against Samsung Electronics Co. (005930) for patent infringement remains to be decided after the iPhone maker lost its bid to block U.S. sales on 26 of the Galaxy maker’s devices.

Apple failed to establish that consumer demand for Samsung products was driven by technology it stole, U.S. District Judge Lucy H. Koh in San Jose, California, said in her ruling yesterday. While a jury found Samsung infringed six Apple patents, it isn’t in the public interest to ban Samsung’s devices because the infringing elements constituted a limited part of Samsung’s phones, Koh said.

The jury said Aug. 24 at the end of a trial that Samsung should pay $1.05 billion. Apple asked Koh to increase the damages by $536 million, while Samsung says they should be reduced by more than $600 million. Koh, who held a hearing on the matter Dec. 6, has yet to issue a ruling.

“There’s not going to be any knockout punches between these two competitors,” Carl Howe, a Yankee Group analyst, said in a phone interview. “Injunctions can be knockouts. This is going to be a war of money.”

Samsung and Apple, the world’s two biggest smartphone makers, have each scored victories in their patent disputes fought over four continents since Apple accused Asia’s biggest electronics maker of “slavishly copying” its devices. The companies are competing for dominance of a global mobile-device market estimated by Yankee Group at $346 billion this year.

Apple Products

Hours after Koh’s ruling on the sales ban, Samsung, which faces an antitrust probe by European regulators, said it will halt efforts to block sales of Apple products in Europe. The developments in the U.S. and Europe may move the companies closer to settling their global litigation.

“There will be some settlement of some sort and all this stuff is just going to dictate who’s going to provide a bit more money than the other,” said David Long, a patent lawyer with Dow Lohnes PLLC in Washington who’s not involved in the case. “All this court stuff is just posturing.”

After the verdict in San Jose, Apple argued Samsung bet that the benefits of using intellectual property from the iPhone and iPad would outweigh the money damages the jury awarded. Apple urged Koh to approve the sales ban and award additional damages because Samsung took market share from Apple by “deliberately copying the iPhone design,” according to a court filing.

Jury’s Calculations

Kathleen Sullivan, a lawyer for Samsung, contended at the Dec. 6 hearing that the damages should be reduced by more than $600 million. Sullivan said that while the jury’s calculations were precise, the nine-member panel was hampered by a verdict form that, against Samsung’s wishes, wasn’t “particularized” enough to permit jurors to properly arrive at damages on a product-by-product basis.

“You should reverse engineer” to make sure the damages are “causally connected to the evidence,” Sullivan told the judge.

Koh said at the hearing that while the jury was precise and consistent in calculating infringement damages for 28 different Samsung products, the method used by the panel may have been mistaken.

“If there is enough evidence in the record to justify that damage award then that verdict should be upheld,’ Harold McElhinny, a lawyer for Apple, argued to the judge.

Galaxy Smartphones

The patent disputes began when Samsung released its Galaxy smartphones in 2010. Apple’s Jobs, who died Oct. 5, 2011, initiated contact with Samsung over his concerns that the Galaxy phones copied the iPhone, according to testimony from the trial in August.

Jobs later vowed to wage ‘‘thermonuclear war” to prove that phones running on Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system copy the iPhone. Samsung devices use Android.

Apple’s 2011 suit claimed Samsung products infringe four design patents and three utility, or software, patents. While finding infringement of six patents, the jury concluded that Samsung didn’t infringe one patent covering the design of Apple’s iPad tablet computer.

In weighing the sales ban request, one test that Koh considered was whether Apple has been harmed by the infringement, and whether customers buy Samsung devices specifically because they have features patented by Apple. Apple’s evidence doesn’t establish that its three design patents cover a feature that drives customer demand, Koh said. Apple doesn’t have patents for certain iPhone features, such as the general concept of a two-finger pinch or flick.

‘Consumer Demand’

“Though evidence that Samsung attempted to copy certain Apple features may offer some limited support for Apple’s theory, it does not establish that those features actually drove consumer demand,” she said.

An injunction would prevent consumers from gaining features on Samsung phones because a few such features infringed Apple’s patents, Koh said.

“The potential for future disruption to consumers would be significantly greater if this court were to issue an injunction, and such disruption cannot be justified,” she said.

Only three of the 26 products that Apple sought to block in the U.S. are still being sold, according to Samsung: the Galaxy S II by T-Mobile, Galaxy S II Epic and Galaxy S II Skyrocket.

2014 Trial

Newer smartphones made by both companies, including Samsung’s Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5, already have been added to a related lawsuit in which Apple and Samsung accuse each other of copying products. That case is also before Koh and is scheduled for trial in 2014.

Kristin Huguet, a spokeswoman for Cupertino, California- based Apple, said in an e-mail that the company declined to comment on yesterday’s ruling by Koh.

Samsung said in an e-mailed statement it was pleased the judge denied “Apple’s move to limit consumer choice” in denying the sales ban. The Suwon, South Korea-based company said it would review the court’s orders before deciding whether to take “further measures.”

The latest decision implies that the total damages award isn’t likely to go higher and may even be reduced, according to Lee Sun-Tae, an analyst at Seoul-based NH Investment Securities.

“The final ruling on the penalty isn’t likely to be overturned,” Lee said.

Apple, the world’s most valuable company, rose 2.9 percent to $533.90 at the close of trading in New York. Samsung, the world’s 15th-biggest company, gained 0.8 percent in Seoul after two days of losses, extending its gain for the year to 43.2 percent.

The case is Apple Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., 11- cv-01846, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Jose).

To contact the reporters on this story: Joel Rosenblatt in San Francisco at jrosenblatt@bloomberg.net; Karen Gullo in San Francisco at kgullo@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at mhytha@bloomberg.net

Article source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-12-18/apple-loses-bid-for-u-dot-s-dot-ban-on-infringing-samsung-phones

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Dec 12 CNET’s top pick of 2012: Samsung Galaxy S III


What’s the best smartphone of 2012? According to CNET, it’s not the iPhone 5.

Although the two phones scored neck-in-neck in terms of review scores, CNET picked the Samsung Galaxy S III over Apple’s iPhone 5 because it is the “first real iPhone competitor.”

The Samsung Galaxy S III runs on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and features a 4.8-inch screen, 4G LTE support, front- and rear-facing cameras, the S Beam file transfer feature and Tec Tiles.

“Samsung’s flagship smartphone successor burst forth this past summer with a surfeit of software features to wow and confound mass-market buyers of premium handsets,” CNET editors said.

Apple and Samsung have been fierce competitors, but the battle between the two companies reached new heights in 2012.

Apple sued Samsung for allegedly knocking off its popular iPhone and iPad. The computer giant sought $2.5 billion in damages. Samsung denied the charges and countersued Apple for $422 million. A nine-person federal jury in San Jose, Calif. ruled in favor of Apple on August 24 and awarded the company with $1.05 billion in damages.

The two companies met in court again Dec. 6. Samsung sought to overturn the verdict, while Apple wanted to add an additional $500 million in fines and ban older Samsung products from sale in the United States. CNET named court battle between the tech giants as the top tech story of the year.

Read the full list of CNET’s Top 100 at CNET.com.

Article source: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57558739/cnets-top-pick-of-2012-samsung-galaxy-s-iii/

Tags: , , ,

23 Nov 11 ‘Chrome Revolver Bandit’ suspected in dozens of Bay Area armed robberies


A distinctive chrome revolver possibly used in dozens of robberies throughout the Bay Area, including one where a San Mateo pet store clerk was shot, led police to the arrest of an Oakland man, police said.

The appropriately if somewhat uncreatively named “Chrome Revolver Bandit” was taken into custody in Alameda County on Nov. 7, according to San Mateo police Sgt. Dave Norris.

A multi-jurisdictional investigation is still ongoing. In the meantime, 34-year-old Ricky Sanders remains in the custody of Alameda County on a parole hold, according to San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

Police in five Bay Area counties have been working to link Sanders to more than 30 robberies in over a dozen cities this year, including San Francisco, San Jose, San Mateo, Daly City, Colma, Redwood City, Pacifica, San Bruno, Fremont, San Leandro and Mountain View, Norris said. He said in a statement that all the robberies “involved a similar method of operation and suspect description” and had been becoming increasingly violent.

“Apparently he was somewhat prodigious in his work,” said Wagstaffe.

Sanders is suspected in “a half dozen or more” robberies in San Mateo County alone, according to Wagstaffe. Charges will be filed in that county first, he said.

On Oct. 8, a gunman entered the PetSmart store at 3520 S. El Camino Real in San Mateo, demanded cash and then fired several shots at a 34-year-old sales clerk, hitting him once, according to police. Paramedics arrived quickly and the man’s life was saved.

Norris said information sharing with other local law enforcement established that robbery as part of the “chrome” series. Sanders was later identified as the suspect, he said.

Then, on Oct. 30, the gunman struck at another PetSmart, this time in San Jose, Norris said. A fingerprint recovered from that crime scene matched that of Sanders, he said.

aburack@sfexaminer.com

Article source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law-and-disorder/2011/11/chrome-revolver-bandit-suspected-dozens-bay-area-armed-robberies

Tags: , , ,

23 Nov 11 ‘Chrome Revolver Bandit’ arrested, connected to 30 robberies


A man suspected of committing more than 30 robberies all over the Bay Area has been arrested, San Mateo County officials announced Monday.

Ricky Sanders, a 34-year-old Oakland resident, was arrested Nov. 7 after two law enforcement agencies simultaneously identified him as a suspect in two Petsmart robberies — one on Oct. 30 in San Jose and another on Oct. 8 in San Mateo in which a clerk was shot.

Sanders was arrested in Alameda County and remains in custody, San Mateo County officials said.

Authorities said Sanders is a suspect in dozens of armed robberies dubbed the “Chrome Revolver Bandit” series for the trademark weapon used in the crimes.

Investigators said they believed that the series involved more than 30 robberies in cities including San Francisco, San Jose, Daly City, Redwood City, Fremont, and San Leandro, according to San Mateo County officials. The crimes occurred throughout this year.

After discovering similarities in how the robberies were carried out and in the suspect descriptions, investigators from multiple jurisdictions formed a task force to identify a suspect.

While investigating the Oct. 30 armed robbery at the Petsmart in San Jose, police collected a fingerprint that led them to identify Sanders as a suspect, San Mateo County officials said.

San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Tuesday morning that Sanders was being held in Alameda County on a parole violation and that the crimes remain under investigation.

Wagstaffe said charges had not yet been filed as of Tuesday, but that San Mateo County prosecutors would be the first to do so once the investigations wrap up.

Article source: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/chrome-revolver-bandit-arrested-connected-30-robbe/nFkQ7/

Tags: , , ,

23 Nov 11 ‘Chrome Revolver Bandit’ Accused In String Of Bay Area Robberies


OAKLAND (CBS SF) – A man suspected of committing more than 30 robberies all over the Bay Area has been arrested, San Mateo County officials announced Monday.

Ricky Sanders, a 34-year-old Oakland resident, was arrested Nov. 7 after two law enforcement agencies simultaneously identified him as a suspect in two Petsmart robberies—one on Oct. 30 in San Jose and another on Oct. 8 in San Mateo in which a clerk was shot.

Sanders was arrested in Alameda County and remains in custody, San Mateo County officials said.

Authorities said Sanders is a suspect in dozens of armed robberies dubbed the “Chrome Revolver Bandit” series for the trademark weapon used in the crimes.

Investigators believe that the series involved more than 30 robberies in cities including San Francisco, San Jose, Daly City, Redwood City, Fremont, and San Leandro, according to San Mateo County officials. The crimes occurred throughout this year.

After discovering similarities in how the robberies were carried out and in the suspect descriptions, investigators from multiple jurisdictions formed a task force to identify a suspect.

While investigating the Oct. 30 armed robbery at the Petsmart in San Jose, police collected a fingerprint that led them to identify Sanders as a suspect, San Mateo County officials said.

San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said this morning that Sanders is being held in Alameda County on a parole violation and that the crimes remain under investigation.

Wagstaffe said charges have not yet been filed, but that San Mateo County prosecutors will be the first to do so once the investigations wrap up.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

 

Article source: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/11/22/131170/

Tags: , , ,

23 Nov 11 ‘Chrome Revolver Bandit’ suspected in dozens of Bay Area armed robberies


A distinctive chrome revolver possibly used in dozens of robberies throughout the Bay Area, including one where a San Mateo pet store clerk was shot, led police to the arrest of an Oakland man, police said.

The appropriately if somewhat uncreatively named “Chrome Revolver Bandit” was taken into custody in Alameda County on Nov. 7, according to San Mateo police Sgt. Dave Norris.

A multi-jurisdictional investigation is still ongoing. In the meantime, 34-year-old Ricky Sanders remains in the custody of Alameda County on a parole hold, according to San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

Police in five Bay Area counties have been working to link Sanders to more than 30 robberies in over a dozen cities this year, including San Francisco, San Jose, San Mateo, Daly City, Colma, Redwood City, Pacifica, San Bruno, Fremont, San Leandro and Mountain View, Norris said. He said in a statement that all the robberies “involved a similar method of operation and suspect description” and had been becoming increasingly violent.

“Apparently he was somewhat prodigious in his work,” said Wagstaffe.

Sanders is suspected in “a half dozen or more” robberies in San Mateo County alone, according to Wagstaffe. Charges will be filed in that county first, he said.

On Oct. 8, a gunman entered the PetSmart store at 3520 S. El Camino Real in San Mateo, demanded cash and then fired several shots at a 34-year-old sales clerk, hitting him once, according to police. Paramedics arrived quickly and the man’s life was saved.

Norris said information sharing with other local law enforcement established that robbery as part of the “chrome” series. Sanders was later identified as the suspect, he said.

Then, on Oct. 30, the gunman struck at another PetSmart, this time in San Jose, Norris said. A fingerprint recovered from that crime scene matched that of Sanders, he said.

aburack@sfexaminer.com

Article source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law-and-disorder/2011/11/chrome-revolver-bandit-suspected-dozens-bay-area-armed-robberies

Tags: , , ,

22 Nov 11 ‘Chrome Revolver Bandit’ Arrested in Alameda Co.


advertisement

Click Here!

Police say he is responsible for three dozen robberies from San Francisco to San Jose and Hayward to Redwood City.

Ricky Sanders, 34, of Oakland was arrested on Nov. 7 in Alameda County according to The Daily Journal. He was dubbed the “Chrome Revolver Bandit” by police.

San Mateo police say Sanders is also wanted for robberies in San Jose, Daly City, Colma, Redwood City, Pacifica, San Bruno, Fremont, San Leandro and Mountain View. During an Oct. 8 robbery at at PetSmart in San Mateo, Sanders allegedly shot a clerk. The clerk survived.

Police plan to try him San Mateo County first.

Article source: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Chrome-Revolver-Bandit-Arrested-in-Alameda-Co-134320438.html

Tags: , , ,